October 15, 2019

Change, adaptation and acceptance

Help your people become future-ready by identifying the skills needed in the new world of work

Have you ever wondered what will happen to our world in the next few years? With digital transformation taking place so rapidly, what will happen to work and workers? Will it still be necessary to study and get degrees if we know that robots and machines will eventually take over?

What can we, as human beings, do to adapt to these significant changes? I believe the only way to survive under current conditions is to adapt ourselves to these changes and figure out what we can do to sustain ourselves and our organisations.

It is vital for companies to keep striving for growth and development by taking successful measures. The mission and vision of my company, SEAC, is to empower people, businesses and organisations with the mindset that embraces endless possibilities and learns eternally. This is something we want everyone to master as we firmly believe in those objectives.

To achieve these goals, we need to thoroughly comprehend what people and organisations are lacking. We are very well aware of how machines and robots are slowly taking over, but that does not mean human talents and capabilities are not needed. It only means that human beings need to cultivate their knowledge in areas where demand for certain attributes and skills is definitely on the rise.

Did you know that as of last year, 71% of the workforce consisted of humans and 29% machines? In the next four years, it is predicted that 42% of tasks will be taken over by robots, with humans left to do the remaining 58%. With that being said, it is obvious that we need to secure our futures through lifelong learning to maximise employment opportunities.

How to get on board

Reskilling and upskilling are critical to developing the talents that will be required to contribute to the needs of the future workforce. When an organisation chooses to reskill its people, it wants them to learn new skills or build skills for a different job scope in order to open up more opportunities.

And so it goes also with upskilling one’s abilities: improving your skill set so you are able to do the job better than it is being done now. It is important to develop strategies, embrace and educate those around you so they don’t fall short when the time comes for them to contribute to meeting higher demands.

Consistency is the key to success, we are often told. Yes, that is true and it plays a huge role in the success of reskilling and upskilling initiatives: companies along with their employees need to be constantly refreshing the knowledge and skill sets they have already attained. That way, they will be able to build on what they have already acquired when dealing with the complexities of the modern era.

Doing this is as simple as learning how to adapt to the situation, utilising the skills one already has and making sure they can be transferred and adapted to any given circumstance, such as new technological advancements.

Grow beyond your potential 

Don’t limit yourself. You may feel as if you won’t be able to adapt to all the changes around you, but you genuinely can. Your soft skills — derived from personal attributes such as teamwork, flexibility, problem-solving, leadership and more — empower you to positively respond to change because they rely on your conscious mind. This is what separates humans from robots.

Meet the needs of tomorrow

Only by educating your organisation and investing in people will you be able to provide a concrete future and a window of opportunity for everyone. All companies want access to the talent they need for the jobs of the future. Pressure on labour markets and educational intuitions to produce future-ready people is also increasing. Hence, coming up with reskilling initiatives will help meet the needs of tomorrow, ensuring your organisation can prevail in a more competitive world.

Even though we may fear technology displacing human jobs, at the same time we should consider how these changes could open up new ways of working, creating millions of new roles. This could drive growth in the business as people to work in concert with machines and innovations to adapt to economic changes. As a leader, you need to make sure your workforce wants to upgrade itself and provide the educational resources they need for effective growth.

Your potential is endless; you simply have to believe you are able to tackle any given situation through a willingness to upgrade your skill sets and knowledge.

Arinya Talerngsri is Chief Capability Officer and Managing Director at SEAC, Southeast Asia’s Lifelong Learning Center. She can be reached by email at arinya_t@new.seasiacenter.com or https://www.linkedin.com/in/arinya-talerngsri-53b81aa. Explore and experience our lifelong learning ecosystem today at https://www.yournextu.com